Seven pet care startups have been selected to take part in the Leap Venture Studio accelerator, each receiving US$200,000 and custom mentorship.
The program, which runs over 12 weeks, is a joint initiative between Mars Petcare, Michelson Found Animals, and R/GA Ventures, and aims to help each startup craft a custom pathway to achieve their milestones using the help of award-winning strategists, technologists, designers, and consultants.
Rachel Sheppherd, Director of Ventures at Mars Petcare, said this year they are thrilled to be working for the first time with a region-specific group – Europe.
“In the early stages, companies are built by the ecosystems around them, and we’re excited to dive deeply into the European pet care ecosystem. Pet parenting challenges pivot around geographical, social, and cultural complexities; these can best be solved by those who empathize with these problems. Leap aims to back those companies who are bringing innovative solutions to the European market and beyond.”
The seven companies involved in this year’s program, which takes place both online and in-person in London, are:
- BorrowMyDoggy, creating an online community to match dog owners with local sitters for walking and holiday care.
- HiPets, a SaaS-enabled, all-in-one marketplace for pets.
- Marleybones, a subscription service providing a range of tailored, sustainable meals for dogs.
- Moggie, the world’s first chat communication and health device for cats.
- People who kaer, offering supplements to prevent and treat some of the most common diseases among dogs.
- Rex, building beautiful, in-person veterinary practices supported by the latest technologies.
- Petty Well, a subscription service delivering natural meals for pets.
Leap Venture Studio is the world’s first pet care startup accelerator and since the launch of the accelerator program in 2018, the 33 companies involved have gone on to raise US$170 million in follow-on capital, with US$100 million in 2021 alone.